HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
sabpri

Newcomer with Her2 Staus Question..

Hello - My name is Natalie and I am 37 years old with 2 year old twins and a 4 year old daugther. I was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer in August of 2005 and just finished treatments which included chemo first - A/C, then Taxotere/Carbo/Herceptin, Double Masectomy, then 30 radiation treatments. As you all know, I have been to hell and back in the last 6 months. I found this site through a friend and just love it - so much great information and people!!!!! As usual for me, I always have something weird and never am I "textbook" for anything, so I still don't have a clear answer from my oncologist, so maybe you all can help me out.

I had 2 Tumors, very large (7cm and 5cm), in my left breast (both IDC) and 7/16+ lymph. Got so big since OB blew it off when I went in with lump and said it was blocked milk ducts from nursing twins, but that's a whole other story! Anyway, here is the Pathology on the 2 Tumors and I cannot figure out if I am Her2+ or not. Regardless, my onc is treating me as if I am Her2+ and I will be getting Herceptin for at least a year. Can someone look at my info below and give me any thoughts?

Tumor #1 -
E/R and P/R Negative
Ki67 Proliferation >90%
Her2/Neu Negative (score = 0) but then there is ** saying see not below which reads: Bioposy shows 90% of malignant cells are negative. However, small fraction, less than 10% demonstrate strong membranous expression.

FISH Analysis - Amplified (there is no number like I have seen on this board). Just says analysis shows majority of lesions as unamplified, but results show amplified subpopulation located centrally within block.

p53 Positive (93%)

Tumor #2 -
E/R Positive >80%
P/R Positive - 50%
Ki67 - 30%
Her2Neu - Weakly Positive (Score = 2+). Stain shows weak reactivity in greater than 10% of malignant cells.

FISH Analysis - Not Amplified.

p53 Negative (1%)

Then it says "histomorphologies of malignant cells are significantly different between lesions"".

In other words, what in the heck am I?? My oncologist said not to worry, that we are treating me as if I have both types of cancer, Her2 (treating with Herceptin) and E/R, P/R {Positive) will start Arimidex after I have ovaries removed in a few weeks. That's finre with me, but I would still like to get a better understanding of the whole Her2 thing. I have heard Herceptin does not work well on people who are not strongly positive, so I am not sure if I am or not.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to comment.

Thanks so much!
Natalie
sabpri is offline   Reply With Quote