HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
Esther

Update 3 weeks post X-knife for Brain Mets

I had a second consultation with Dr. Black today at Cedars-Sinai. I was interested to know what treatments he would recommend for me post X-knife. I had a list of question on Lapitinib, Avastin,Temodar....

Well, his opinion is to do....NOTHING! Was I ever surprised. He said that in my case, the side effects would not be worth the benefits of chemo treatments. He said that in my case, there was a 50% chance that I would not recur, or that any new lesions would appear. So...50% chance that the one X-knife treatment is all the treatment I'll ever need for Brain Mets.

Since he is recommending MRI's every 3 months, he feels that we would catch anything that pops up early, and it could be treated by repeat SRS.

He said that the textbook treatment would include WBR, but that in my case he thought that would be a very bad idea.

He said that Brain mets from another primary are easier to manage than brain tumors that are primary to the brain, as primary brain tumors are more acclimated to the brain and are harder to manage.

MANAGE is the word he used in regards to brain mets, he was very matter of fact and seemed confident that managing my brain mets was something he was confident he could do.

I was still doubtful, as I had been sure he would recommend some chemo at this point. But on the way home, I was talking with Chris, and said " I went to Dr. Black because I was convinced he was one of the best in the world to take care of brain tumors, so I have to have confidence in what his opinion is"

So I guess for now I will just continue with Herceptin, and do MRI's 4 times a year, and hope for the best. And continue to have as good a quality of life as I can possibly have. Last week our group was putting deposits on our yearly week long ski trip. Next winter it will be in Steamboat,CO. As we put our deposits down I thought, well, I'm expecting to be here, be healthy and be in condition to ski a year from now! Hope is what keeps us going.
Esther is offline   Reply With Quote