HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Unregistered

Herceptin and Aromasin

Hi,

My name is Barb. I am registered but cannot remember my password. Anyway, I would like to hear from those of you who are doing Herceptin as well as Aromasin in combination with having the ovaries removed. I was diagnosed stage IIIa, with 6 out of 14 nodes, Her2nu+++, ER 90%, PR 10%. Had a lumpectomy, dense dose Adriamyacin/Cytoxin (4) and Taxol (4), then radiation. Periods came back after chemo. I tried to do 7 months of zoladex - made me out of my mind. Took out both ovaries a year ago, and started herceptin every 3 weeks for a year. Have been tolerating the herceptin okay for 6 months - just having some trouble with weight gain, and redistributed body fat!

I just saw my Onc that follows me at the Mayo (I get my herceptin here in Dayton, OH) and he says I have to do the Aromasin too. I know I shouldn't probably question it too much, but is one more expensive pill to add to my stuff to take. I thought by taking out the ovaries, I would be okay. I want to know if there is a test they can do to monitor whatever it is they are blocking (whatever estrogen is left in the adrenals, etc.) I know there is a standard pill to take, but does it ever something that becomes toxic, because of excessive levels in the body? What are the side effects of the herceptin and aromasin together? Am I really getting a big benefit on top of already having the ovaries out?
I have been on the herceptin now for almost 6 months for prevention - have another 6 months to go. Today, I am 3 years clean. I just want to make an informed decision. Thanks all. Barb H.