HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
StephN

Unhappy Brain met surgery Thurs. morning

Things went faster than originally planned.
Got a call yesterday morning to see if Hubby and I could meet with the docs in the mid-afternoon. We agreed and met up there at 2pm.
The Gamma Knife rad onc was there and a top notch neuro-surgeon who only works on the brain. We looked at all the scans starting from last year and on to see how things went.
If the PET/CT were not showing as much contrast I might be inclined to wait, but it is, and this is a light week ahead so no reason not to take the opening on Thurs.

I have full confidence in this brain surgeon, I just am not crazy about having the general anethetic as I don't do so well with them. Blood pressure stays depressed.
If I could have a biopsy of this stubborn met to see if it is necrosis or tumor (or both, very likely) I would. But there is just a little bit of boney structure in the way!
The area of concern is much smaller than the original 3cm tumor, so the Gamma Knife did its job. We will see what the pathology says.
My markers are all normal - including CEA which was way over normal with the brain mets before and the new Bayer Her2 serum test which came back well into the normal range.
The docs all agreed that I am very healthy otherwise - and I will NOT NEED DECADRON for more than a very few days. It is easier to get over the effects of the anesthesia than the Decardon!

Last edited by StephN; 02-07-2006 at 06:38 PM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote