HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Sukey

new "kid" on your block

New "kid" On the Block
...Hope I am in the right place for this posting...On Nov 9, I was found to have recurrent BC via removal of supraclavicular lymph nodes after almost 7 years being cancer free. My concern arose after a year's therapy for lymphedema in my right arm didn't seem to be controlling swelling, a decrease in strength and grip in my hand and arm. Treatment/therapy worked for about 10 months; mammo in August OK. Late August thru mid-October things just didn't seem to be comfortable...thought my radiation oncologist might have seen abit more of this sort of thing than my PCP and lymphedema therapists.
He picked up on "the node" right away and the merry-go-round began again. MRI, PET and related CT scans showed neoplastic activity in the brachial plexus...no where else at this time. Being told I now have stage IV/incurable breast cancer is beyond scary...But between my 2 wonderful oncologists, they have decided to do radiation first in the hope of putting the genie back in its bottle (and I am mid-way in those treatments) and to give me back use of my hand and arm (VERY swollen and quite painful...underlying lymphedema not helpful) and secondly, to keep the genie there with Herceptin. NO chemo, no port at this point...save the "big guns" for later should it be necessary. Abit spooked by IVs now after chemo (CMF) in 1998 and wobbly veins with so many subsequent tests. ER/PR-...HER2 +++ then and again now. Has anyone out there been in this place w brachial plexus involvement? Will I get my hand/arm back? I know I will still have to deal w lymphedema but I can handle that ok...at this point, I cannot pick up piece of paper...ulnar nerve very compromised and index finger also NO help. this posting sounds so disjointed but I wanted to ask so many things in a tiny amount of time....thanks for YOUR TIME
Sukey is offline   Reply With Quote