HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2005, 05:19 AM   #1
Unregistered

WOW "interferes with the tumor's ability to use linoleic acid as a growth signal"

AN "Electric light thought"?

STUNNING IMPLICATIONS?

This is about light and melatonin but for me misses the real point.

There have been a lot of posts on omega three and six on this site, and I have previously posted suggestions that excess omega six intake MAY be a magor factor in the increases in western diseases (including particularly breast cancer), AND that excess omega six is stimulating dormant evolutionary pathways, the bodies response to an excess of a fundamental nutritional fat which cannot be synthesised by the body.

We have seen lots of posts on the impact of omega three on breast cancer, often 70% differentials between high omega three and high omega six.

This is the first time I have seen linoleic acid (OMEGA 6) linked DIRECTLY to breast cancer cell growth regulation.

Omega six is a key factor in the eicosanoid pathway.

I have seen reports that omega six LIPIDS take part in cellular functions within cancerous cells, but not within healthy cells.

An omega three six balance of 1:1 or better is generally recognised as reflecting human intakes for thousands of years.

Recent omega three six balance in various contries is reported as 1-10 to 1-50.

In respect of excessive light - are those who live in the artic circle prone to higher breast cancer? Are they protected by fish intake?

Is the response to light just a shutdown slowdow of particular emergency repair process (the same pathway used by omega six ) that are replaced by other pathways of nighttime / sleep maintenance. (What would sleeping beauty's risk of breast cancer been?)

RB

http://washingtontimes.com/national/...4456-2045r.htm

ABSTRACT

Electric light thought to spur breast cancer

By Joyce Howard Price

..............Dr. David Blask , a neuroendocrinologist with the Bassett Research Institute and lead author of the study, explained that "many tumors are largely dependent on a nutrient called linoleic acid ... in order to grow."
Melatonin, he said, "interferes with the tumor's ability to use linoleic acid as a growth signal, which causes tumor metabolism and growth activity to shut down." ..........................