HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
Tara

Can HER+ status change from initial to final path report?

I had a lumpectomy-it was confirmed that I had bc. Anyway, the initial path report stated that I was ER neg, node neg and HER+. I had a bil. mast. I was told today that my final path report from the mast has me as HER-. Is it common for the HER status to go from positive to negative? I know each time the results were read by 2 different patholoigists. The lumpectomy was done on 11-02-05 and the mast. was done 11-16-05. The lumpectomy path report stated that Her 2 neu protein overexpresion 3+ positive by immunohistochemical study. Should I be getting other opinions before I start a treatment plan? I am really hacked off at my oncologist at this point. I had an appt with him on Monday and we talked about me being Her+. Since I am node negative he was not sure he wanted to give me herceptin due to the heart failure risk. I called my onocologist's office yesterday and spoke to the nurse to let her know that I decided to do herceptin as part of my treatment plan. She informed me that my doctor told her that I was not Her+. I told her that I was looking at a path report that stated I was. She was to get back to me and never did. I was suppose to go in for my first round of chemo at 9am today. I called them at 8:30am, got voicemail and told them I needed some confirmation of what type of cancer I had before I was going to let them do any type of treatment on me. I did not go in at 9am. At 10:30am, my doctor calls me and he sounded hacked off. He could not really explain to me why the HER status had changed or if this was a common thing.This just does not make any sense to me at all. I am feeling really confused and not sure what my next step needs to be? Any advice would be appreciated. I know I want to treat this as aggresively as I can. This is my second time around with breast cancer. I was first dx'd back in 1999 at age 25. I want this to be my very last time in cancer treatment!!
Tara is offline   Reply With Quote