HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
Unregistered

Thinking of possible Causes

Hi- A few things occurred to me about the reason I may have gotten breast cancer. I was thinking of how to guide my daughter in the right direction. After watching the local news this week, I thought of a few things that I did in my life that may have caused this. There was a doctor on our local news that said there was a new study that connected the use of shaving under the arm and then using deodorant -to breast cancer. My mother, my sister and I did that all the time. When I was 14 years old, my mom took me to the doctor for a lump under my arm. The doctor cut the lump out. My sister and my mom got the same procedure for lumps under the arm. We all got cancer. My sister died of lung cancer at age 37 and my mom has breast cancer. After I got breast cancer 6 years ago, I instinctively knew not to use deodorants and I just use baby powder. (We used arid cream as teens but sometimes used the deodrant sprays and they burned like mad after shaving)
Another thing I did was dye my hair for years with a dye which contained a chemical in the red dye that was found to cause cancer (they only mentiioned the red dye).
Something else I remember is that there used to be a truck that came around our neighborhood in the summer to spray for mosquitos. All of the kids would ride our bikes behind the truck and follow it around in the fog of the spray.After doing that a few times, I was so sickened when the truck came around that I ran in the house. I guess I'm lucky to have lasted so long. HaHa.
I realize that there are many things that could cause cancer, but these are just a few things that I will tell my daughter not to do. God Bless You All- Cathy