HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
StephN

Unhappy Add me to LYMPHEDEMA list

You all know how we sometimes tend to ignore little things and think they are probably nothing and will go away. Well that was how I was treating the puffiness that had developed between the knuckles where my fingers meet my hand. I have it a little bit on each hand, but worse on the right (lumpectomy and lower axcilla excision side) and also in my fingers now. One other thing that I noticed was a little feeling of "fullness" in my upper right arm in the underside area.
Someone else here had mentioned that and it raised a red flag for me. There is still little difference in measurement from one arm to the other, but some.

So, I went for an evaluation for lymphedema with a very good local physical therapist. She felt that the duration and slight worsening was indicative of Stage 1 lymphedema. (Yeah - they "stage" it just like our cancer!)

She said this is a hard stage to treat as it is so light, but with the proper attention we may get it to go away completely. I now understand WHY it is important to catch early - as there are proteins in the lymph fluid that will build up and stick together forming fibroids that tend to block normal flow of the lymph from one area to another. Once this is the case, it becomes VERY hard to move the lymph and keep it from collecting again.

Looks like I will be getting a glove with fingers and also using some pressure pads for the knuckle area. Not sure about the upper arm and sleeve use yet.

So, more fun and games with the cancer long-term side effects. I just hope in my case this will get under control and can stay under control! I have been careful with my arm as far as no needle sticks, cuts, and blood pressure cuffs. But, I WAS doing a lot of raking 3 Sundays ago and after that is when I noticed the pressure in my upper arm. The therapist said that some activities are GOOD for this problem and some are not.

More soon!

Last edited by StephN; 11-20-2005 at 12:43 AM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote