HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Donna

Liver issues, stage 1 to IV?

Hi I need help. Currently I am stage 1 had lumpectomy for 2 masses 1.5cm and .4cm. Pathology showed possible lymph invasion, but seninal nodes were negative. Er-Pr-, her2+++ Finished 4 cycles of A/C and was to start 12 taxol/herceptin then continue with herceptin for 1 year (or I was hoping 2 years once the european study wrapped up). I was not allowed to started herceptin since my muga scan went from baseline of 58% to 46%, onc will redo muga in 5 weeks and alluded to fact that I probably will not receive a full year of herceptin. Last was last week, to make matters worse this week, I was not allowed to have my 2nd taxol treatment because my liver function test had more than doubled from last week. In the 200+ range and they would have given me a treatment if level was 100. I went up from 44 (hi) to over 200 in a week. Did have discussion with onc about possible liver mets and she was evasive. He stated no alcohol this week (only drink 1 glass of red wine each week ironcly to strengthen heart) and will do blood work next week. If evalated then he will do a MRI. He does not do tumor markers or scans unless there are symptoms. "Doesn't want to run around looking" if tumor markers are high as lots of things besides cancer can cause increase tumor markers.
I'm very worried about not being able to have treatment, onc also not sure if I'll be able to have taxol for the 12 weeks. No taxol, no herceptin what if anything is there for me to do to prevent reoccurance with this her2+++ and being hormone negative? If I have liver mets then without herceptin how long will I have left, I just turned 47 with 2 kids. My mother died of bc after she had bones mets found by accident when her hip broke. She only lasted 4 years but her first bc dx was 15 years ago and mets were detected 7 years ago. She didn't have chemo after initial dx just mast, started chemo after mets discovered.
Anyone have any ideas, looks like it is becoming common for stage 1 to progress to stage 4. Anything I can be doing to help the liver and strenghten the heart. It is very discouraging that I am losing my health very rapidly since dx in 7/05. My whole world is turned upside down and nothing I heard from the onc is positive. He originally told me he could cure this, maybe the bc can be cured but if I could die from the treatment.
Is this how others liver mets were found? Should I look for 2nd opinion, what should I be looking for?
Thanks so much, this site has been invaluable for gathering info.