HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #21
Tami

I wear a Jobst sleeve and gauntlet from a medical supply store. I wear it as a precaution when I fly. I recently got an infection in my arm - 4 inch red blotch that was warm to the touch. I immediately called my doctor and got in within an hour because my doc said it is extremely important to get on antibiotics as soon as possible at any sign of true infection - i did not have a scratch or anything so I am not sure of the source. I recently was out of the country for 2 weeks and she gave me a prescription to carry with me just in case I had a recurrance. Anther thign I do is to continue to walk my fingers up the wall while I shower as if I were a spider crawling and then back down to keep the muscles loose. I was afraid to use my arm after surgery and then after a while I felt as though it was becoming my wounded wing.

Other things I avoid are hot tubs and saunas, needle pricks, blood pressure cuffs, etc.

I have a friend that developed mild lymphedema 6 months ago, She was 2 years out from surgery and lifted a case of soda with her arm and knew immediately. So she did the wrapped mummy sleeve and therapy for a couple of months and her arm is now just slightly bigger than her other...so the good news here is that it can improve!

My arm occasionally feels tight and when that happens I try to keep it elevated to let gravity help drain it and I also do stretches. wrist rolls, etc.

Best
Tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote