HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
*_Donna_*

In previous posts I inquired about when everyone was getting scans. I had been advised via this board to demand blood work for tumor markers and serum her2 and baseline scans. I spoke with my onc who doesn't like to do scans until there are symptoms. Today he mentioned that he doesn't check tumor markers/serum her2 because if the markers are evaluated he would be searching everywhere. He believes that I do not have any cancer in me at this time and is working to cure the bc. I was dx in 7/05 with Stage 1, Grade 3 IDC 1.5cm and .4cm had lumpectomy with negative sentinal nodes. Bioposy path report mentions possible lymph invasion. ER-PR-Her2+++. Started chemo in 8/05 A/C 4 cycles every 3weeks. Then rads and taxol/herceptin for 12 weeks then continue with herceptin to equal 1 year. Onc states he closely follows ASOC and they do not adhere to scans/tumor markers. What does everyone think about this? I want to catch things early before they become a problem. My mom died of bc at age 65, she originally had a mast and took hormones (tamox,and others). She was 10years out when her hip fractured and it was discovered that the bc had metastized to her bones. She lived for 4 yrs after mets discovered and her quality of life was not the best (had hip replaced 2x). I don't want to fall through any cracks!
Thanks