HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
kk1

Those of you who are er/pr+ and had an oophrectomy did you also have a hysterectomy at the same time? I am also interested in peoples experience with zoldex is it working for you? Do you have occasional bleeding episodes but Estogen levels are still low?

I am on Zoladex and Aromasin but twice in the last year I have had light to moderate bleeding for a few days. I first thought that it was my menses and the Zoldadex was not working but blood work indicates low estradial <20 (eg. Menopause) but also low FSH (usually high if in menopause). I found this confusing but a little web searching suggests that FSH levels can fluctuate a lot during the 1st few years of menopause and are not a reliable indicators….wondering if that is also true when menopause is chemically induce?
This bleeding of course makes me worry that I have estrogen floating around in my body so I went to see a gyn/onc surgeon about getting any Oophectomy.

He said that the bleeding was probably not menses since my blood estrogen is low and that some people experience occasional bleeding due to thinning of the uterus during menopause. Okay that was comforting but then he suggested that I have not just an oophectomy but also a hysterectomy. He started to go on about tamoxifen and HRT therapy and increased risk of cervical cancer ect and that I might as well have the hysterectomy at the same time. I told him that I would never be on tamoxifen due to the her+ antagonism and also no HRT since my BC was er+/pr+. It was like he was not listening to any thing I said and his argument for a hysterectomy does not seem to make sense.

I am 47 yrs old and stage IV and feeling great!!! I will have been dancing with NED for a year at the end of next month. My life feels like it is almost completely back to normal. I hate the idea of having major surgery ----they said I would have to stay home 4-6weeks if I had the hysterectomy.

Any experiences you ladies can share would be much appreciated

Kk1