HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Esther

I know that I have seen this topic discussed before. But I am coming across information that indicates that Flax Seed in oil or using the fresh ground flax seeds, may act as an estrogen inhibitor which would be of benefit to estrogen positive breast cancer.

Here are some quotes on the subject:

"Lignans subdue cancerous changes once they've occurred, rendering them less likely to race out of control and develop into full-blown cancer, " says flax researcher Lilian Thompson, Ph.D., professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Toronto.

Lignans show particular promise for battling breast cancer. They do this by blocking the effects of estrogen, which, over time, seems to increase breast cancer risk in some women. Even when estrogen-sensitive tumors get a chance to grow, lignans exert a restraining influence that can slow or even halt their growth. In a laboratory study, breast tumors in animals given flaxseed shrank by 50 percent in seven weeks.

Flaxseed has two additional cancer-fighting secrets. It's a rich source of polyunsaturated fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which appear to limit the body's production of chemicals called prostaglandins. This is important because prostaglandins, in large amounts, can "speed up tumor growth, " says Bandaru S. Reddy, Ph.D., chief of the division of nutritional carcinogenesis at the American Health Foundation in Valhalla, New York." http://www.naturalhair.org/wellness/flax.htm

I am interested in this subject, as I am actively looking for non-chemical ways of aiding my treatment for stage 4 mets to liver and bones.