HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
ngmathias

I am new to the site and I am searching for information for my friend Cathy who was diagnosed with HER2Nu in May, 2004. Her tumor grew very rapidly and she received 6 treatments with Navilbene and Taxitere followed by 4 treatments with Adriamycin and Cytoxan. Then she had a mastectomy which found a 5cm tumor and 9 of 11 positive nodes. She began radiation and was 7 treatments from completion when she developed shortness of breath(SOB) and was found to have fluid buildup compressing her lungs. She is now in the hospital (for past 2 weeks) with chest tubes and has received "talc" to help prevent the build up of fluid and SOB.
Her oncologist is recommending Herceptin plus 2 other chemo drugs (she couldn't remember the names, I will get them from the onc tomorrow) but she is developing ascites and can't seem to get her onc to tell her if he thinks the Herceptin, etc. will give her significant improvement and good quality time, or if it is likely to be just prolonging the miserable time she is having now. She wants quality of life.
Any one have any experience with a similar situation that has had good results? Thanks so much.
Nancy for Cathy