HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Celina

My sister met with oncologist today. He went over the preliminary reports from her MRI. He said that she most likely had a mild stroke and that there are new mets at a completely different location of her brain. The other 20 or so mets are still there, but remain stable. She is, obviously, devastated about the news. I had planned to be with her to receive the results, but my daughter was sick and I could not go. She said that the onc. mentioned that he wasn’t sure if she could get radiation because of the location of the mets, but Carole said she can’t recall what area of the brain he was referring to and nor could her husband or my parents..I think they were all trying to digest the news. I have never heard of not being able to receive WBR, so I’m wondering if he was referring to Stereotactic surgery. Has anyone heard of not being able to have WBR because of met locations? She has already had WBR, but because she only received 5 treatments we were told that she could do more if it was necessary.
I will go with her on Monday to meet with onc. and radiologist to go over the more detailed report and discuss possible options…could there be more than one option? I hope so.
She told her doctor that she didn’t want Navelbine anymore. So many of you are on it or have been on it with such tolerable side effects, but I suppose everyone is different. Carole can’t deal with the severe abdominal pain. When I had spoken with her early this morning (prior to receiving the brain met news), she had decided to stop chemo for awhile. She said that she wants to be able to spend quality time with her husband and kids. She is tired of being sick and wants to be able to enjoy the outdoors..she hasn’t been able to do this on her chemo regiment. I can’t blame her for this decision. The pan that she was in was truly unbearable. Anyway, doctor said that maybe when all is sorted out with brain met, she can start Xeloda/Herceptin…which she’s willing to give a try. Did I read recently about having to avoid folic acid on this chemo? Also, anyone currently on this combo, how are the side effects? How long have you/or were you on it? Finger and toes…peeling of skin?
What is the name of the chemo that is sometimes administered through a port directly onto the brain? Under what circumstances is this used? Any info would be so greatly appreciated.
Sorry for rambling, but I’m scared..these brain mets seem out of control.