HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
Jackie

Happy New Years to everyone! Unfortunately, mine is starting with yet another issue to deal with. Seems like something always happens to me this time of year, but at least this year it was AFTER the holidays. I found out today that a suspicious area in the lining of my brain has thickened and needs treatment (I had gamma knife last June for 2 lesions that are now gone). As I was looking at the films on his computer with the dr, I wondered how such an narrow, elongated area could be treated stereotactically. The answer is that the recommendation is to treat it chemically with methotrexate, which requires that some sort of port has to be "installed" in my head for access. I don't know yet what the schedule of treatment is (weekly, monthly, etc.), but I guess will be in addition to the chemo I am receiving monthly now for bone/skin mets. The rad onc couldn't answer many of my questions, but this is the first time I've even heard of this kind of treatment for brain mets! I had an idea that I was going to hear that treatment would be necessary, but this has me floored. I see my regular onc on Thurs, but sure would like to have more info when I get there than I have now.

Has anyone else experienced this type of treatment? How big is the access port used for the head? (Surely smaller than the other one I have!) Do you experience side effects as you do with chemo infused into the body? How long might it take to zap the rotten thing? Hair loss? Has anyone had a spinal tap (I have to have one asap)...is it painful?

Aside from my problems, I was very glad to see Lisa back on line, and to hear that Mary is doing better....Christine is right, just the word hospice is scarey. I didn't know they were involved in pain management, and am glad to hear that. Also that others have clear scans and other good news to celebrate....what a great way to begin 2005!!

Sorry this is so long....many thanks for any information someone may be able to pass along.
Love,
Jackie