HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
sassy

EASY Button not working--Struggling with Zometa Femur Fractures

A lesser known but serious side effect of long term Bisphosphonate use is the development of Atypical Femoral Stress Fractures. As the pool of women who have been on these drugs for five or more years grows, more of these issues are coming to light and the medical community is becoming more aware of the issue---but much more awareness on the part of medical providers and especially patients is needed.

Always seeming to be the exception, I have been one of the unfortunate ones who has suffered from these stress fractures in my femurs after being on Zometa for 7 years. After struggling with joint stiffness from Arimidex, then a trial ruon on Exemestane which proved to be worse, I tried a period without an AI to let my hips recover. While feeling that my hips were indeed getting better, I continued to have problems walking and significant pain in my legs with even slight impact. After consulting with an orthopedist, we discovered last summer that I had stress fractures in both of my femurs, about four inches below the hip joint. While significant enough to be detected on x-Ray alone (no MRI was necessary) I was able to convince my Ortho to postpone surgery placing rods in both of my legs to see if the bones would heal. After three months of very limited walking, much to my Ortho's surprise, there was evidence of healing. That's the good news. The bad news is that we have no idea if they will fully heal and if so how long it may take. There is evidence to suggest that bisphosphonates stay in your system for up to 10 years, depressing the rate of normal healing. For a number of other reasons, I need to avoid surgery if possible, so trying not to have to take the rodding route.

My biggest threat is that I will misstep or fall and end up with a complete fracture of one or both of my legs. Really puts a damper on LOTS of activities. There is really nothing I can do to aid in the healing, other than walking and just being REALLY careful.

Week before last I took a little stumble--didn't fall-- but came down hard on my left leg. Been limping ever since and trying to convince myself it's just sore and I didn't do any further damage. Got my head in the sand.

I know life is never easy---but I just seem to be struggling with everything right now. Bad legs, can't do anything physically, work is hard--whine, whine, whine. Having a little pity party.

I share with you all, because you are the ones who will understand. How do you explain to people that you are basically walking around on broken legs, hoping they won't completely fail?

Thanks for letting me vent. Thanks for being my support.

Chin Up now.

For those of you on bisphosphonates-I do not in anyway discourage the use of them, but everyone should be aware of the risks.

I have found a wonderful group led by Dr. Jennifer Schneider, relating to these types of injuries. If you are using any type of bisphosphonates please take the time to read Dr. Schneider's article from the New York Times and make yourself aware of signs and symptoms to be aware of that could indicate an AFF issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/he...bone.html?_r=0
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote