HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
CarolineC

Stage IV and Metastatic members-do you have weekly or every three week treatments

I am very blessed that I am able to have Herceptin covered in my province. My doctors have lately recommended TDM1 and have told me to contact our insurance provider to see if it is covered through them because the BC Cancer Agency doesn't fund it at this time.

I phoned insurance and was told that it is covered, however it cannot be administered through a government funded hospital, so I suppose through a private clinic? Or maybe our local drug dealer could help out. Just joking.... I think.

I posted extensively the other day about how I had to miss a Herceptin treatment because my ejection fraction went down. I then had a loading dose of 8mg/kg and I felt much better(I had energy, my back didn't hurt) so much so that I went to have my TMs checked the following week instead of before my next treatment like I normally do. My TMs lowered significantly and I was sure the higher dose had helped. On Monday I had them checked again and they are back up-I kind of figured they would be because my mid upper back was starting to be uncomfortable again.

My onc is convinced that my lowered TM results aren't right. I have asked him to give me a higher dose again and I would get them checked next week and we would see. He says he can't do that without evidence supporting the higher dose and how would I get it funded. I then asked if he would do weekly treatments because I feel that maybe I need the Herceptin weekly to keep it in my system. Again, he can't because there is no evidence and it is not funded.

I was very frustrated but I do understand that his hands are tied because of protocol (hate that word) and we need evidence to support the treatments. I feel strongly that maybe metastatic cancer should be treated with higher or more frequent dosing. I have a chance to be ahead of cancer instead of behind it and would much rather have Herceptin treat it than more chemo.

Those of you that are on Herceptin-is it weekly or every 3 weeks? How do you get your doctor to support you?

Lani, if you're reading this-are there any studies to support the efficacy of weekly or higher doses? I can't seem to find anything and I'm getting tired.
4 x AC, 4 x Paclitaxol and H (Neupogen for 7 cycles), Herceptin complete Nov 10
Mar–Apr 2010 25 Rads
Apr 10-Oct 11- Tamoxifen
Oct 11 – 3 cm met to sternum
Oct 11-Letrozole for 3 mths, start Clasteon-bone remodeller
Nov-Dec 11 - Happy 50th Birthday -20 rads to sternum
Jan-April 2012 Taxotere/Herceptin-6 cycles (Neupogen for 5)
Herceptin every 3 weeks-Letrozole added Nov 2012
CarolineC is offline   Reply With Quote