HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
KirisMum

Unhappy Need info on WBR

We found out today that Kiri has brain mets. :-( She just called me. She's on steroids, and pretty hyped up (though talking to her mum can't have helped calm her down :/ ). There are about a dozen tumors all over her brain, they don't even know how big because of swelling, but they think under a cm each. They're starting whole brain radiation today, and finishing the day before Thanksgiving. And in the middle of everything, she plans to come down here (to NJ from Boston) with her boyfriend the weekend before Thanksgiving, then somehow get back to Boston on Monday for more rads, then fly down to Chattanooga on Wednesday when her radiation ends to meet up with the boyfriend and go rock climbing on Thanksgiving.

I'm worried that whole brain radiation totally wipes you out, you're not supposed to drive, but it's not my job to tell her how to live, especially at this point, so I just fret. And I'm so so scared for her, but she is handling this with courage and humor and aplomb, if somewhat on fast forward due to steroids, as she always does.

So those of you who have undergone WBR, what might we expect? I know--as I was reminded firmly by my daughter--that everyone's response is different. How long might she be on steroids? I hate what they do to her. They plan to scan her again a month after the rads, and she will stay on herceptin and perjeta, with the possible addition of another chemo, for the duration.

She is triple positive, and was declared NED just 5 weeks ago after 6 months of treatment with taxol, herceptin and perjeta for multiple liver mets.

Thanks all for any help and support.
KirisMum is offline   Reply With Quote