HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
Paula O

Arm port versus chest port

If anybody here doesn't have a port yet but is going to get one, I highly reccomend an arm "Passport". Mine has been very comfortable (after an initial brief minor adjustment) and more discreet than a chest port from what I can tell. It is inserted above and on the side of the arm where there's a bend in the elbow, hardly shows and doesn't feel like anything. It apparently threads to the same place as a chest port without another scar on your chest and without the risk of puncturing a lung on insertion. I met a couple patients who had lungs collapse during their chest port insertions ---yikes---a surgeon's and patient's nightmare. It's not a common problem but a genuine risk and it does happen sometimes.

Passports have been around a long time but not many people get them and I'm not sure why because they sure seem much better from the patient point of view. With all my infusions I never saw anybody else getting hooked up with the arm port like I was. Mine worked very well and had easy access without unbottoning my shirt. The nurses thought it was wonderful and other patients who saw mine thought it was a great way to go and I did too. Anyway, I'm sharing this not to boast about the location of a port (!) but to pass along a tip that if you are going to need a port, you might want to consider an arm passport if your surgeon does them.

Anyone else here have an arm port too or heard of any disadvantages over a chest port?

Paula
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote