HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
kvogler

Second guessing myself

Hi all. Had my surgery talk today but I think I need to call him up again. I had a tumor and an affected lymph node. After 6 rounds of chemo and Herceptin, the new PET scan shows no cacner activity at the site or elswhere. Big yay on that! I feel confident with my decision of a masectomy of the affected breast. What's bugging me is the nonaffected breast. I'm BRAC negative otherwise taking the nonaffected would have been a done deal. I'm a younger fighter at 36 so I have longer to have to prevent a second cancer. I'm going to also have radiation after the masectomy and more Hercepting for a year. (Maybe more chemo but oncologist is going to watch how I do.) I feel like I'm being pretty aggressive. The surgeon said I responded very well to the chemo. Part of me does hate the idea of taking off a body part that hasn't betrayed me yet. And I've told myself that I could take the other one off at a later time, that it doesn't have to be done at this surgery. I'm just so confused that I don't know what is right for me in regard to the nonaffected breast. Maybe waiting is better since I'm conflicted. What are your thoughts? Any gals out there that are doing well with just a masectomy of one breast years out? Dang, I wish I had a crystal ball for this sort of decision!! I know it's finally up to me but I don't know how I feel at this point. Ugh.
kvogler is offline   Reply With Quote