HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
Paula O

The Scar Project: Breast Cancer is Not a Pink Ribbon

These poignant pictures of partially nude women with breast cancer have been around awhile on the internet (copyright is 2011) but tonite was the first I've seen them. I did a search on the Her2support.org site to see if the link was posted here previously and saw the post in 2007 looking for young cancer survivors volunteering to be photographed for the Scar Project.

http://www.thescarproject.org/ (click on "images" at top if you are interested in viewing the slide show).

From the website:
"The SCAR Project is a series of large-scale portraits of young breast cancer survivors shot by fashion photographer David Jay. Primarily an awareness raising campaign, The SCAR Project puts a raw, unflinching face on early onset breast cancer while paying tribute to the courage and spirit of so many brave young women.

Dedicated to the more than 10,000 women under the age of 40 who will be diagnosed this year alone, The SCAR Project is an exercise in awareness, hope, reflection and healing. The mission is three-fold: raise public consciousness of early-onset breast cancer, raise funds for breast cancer research/outreach programs and help young survivors see their scars, faces, figures and experiences through a new, honest and ultimately empowering lens.

Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in young women ages 15-40. The SCAR Project participants range from ages 18 to 35, and represent this often overlooked group of young women living with breast cancer. They journey from across America – and the world – to be photographed for The SCAR Project. Nearly 100 so far. The youngest being 18 years old.

Although Jay began shooting The SCAR Project primarily as an awareness raising campaign, he was not prepared for something much more immediate . . . and beautiful: “For these young women, having their portrait taken seems to represent their personal victory over this terrifying disease. It helps them reclaim their femininity, their sexuality, identity and power after having been robbed of such an important part of it. Through these simple pictures, they seem to gain some acceptance of what has happened to them and the strength to move forward with pride."

The SCAR Project book, "Breast Cancer Is Not A Pink Ribbon" is available on Amazon at : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YUKKC0

Paula

"My scars are but brushstrokes in the Masterpiece which is my life."
--Unknown
Paula O is offline   Reply With Quote