HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
jaykay

Angry Recurrence after 12 years

Hi – I’ve been a “lurker” for quite a while and don’t consider myself a “newbie”. I was diagnosed with Stage 1a breast cancer in February, 2000, post-menopausal. Er+/pr-/Her2+++. Invasive, moderately differentiated ductal carcinoma, very small (3mm), node negative. Excisional biopsy and follow up lumpectomy with SNB, left breast. No Herceptin or chemo recommended due to very early stage (2 different oncologists). 5 weeks of radiation, 4.5 years of Tamoxifen (torture!) and 5 years of Femara (not too bad but hell on the bones). Regularly visited oncologist, regular mammograms, MRI’s, bloodwork. Oncologist actually mentioned the “c” word. Completed the Femara in January 2010.

I found this site while researching Her2 years ago. Prior to my diagnosis, I had worked with a woman who was Her2 positive and was in the clinical trials for Herceptin. She flew down to Duke University regularly and ultimately passed away. As I mentioned, I’ve been a lurker for years and have read your stories, shed tears for those who have passed away and rejoiced for those who survived.

Fast forward to September, 2012. Regular diagnostic mammogram, immediate ultrasound and needle biopsy. They found a lump on the right breast, 2.3cm (wtf, where did that come from?). I didn’t need to see the biopsy results to know it was cancer. A couple of days later, I received the results – er+/pr-/Her2+++, poorly differentiated infiltrating DC. I knew I would elect to have a bilateral mastectomy because I could not go through with this a third time. Had a consultation with my oncologist as well as my original surgeon. Surgery first, then chemo (taxol 6x) with Herceptin for a year. Aromatase inhibitor tbd. Had my surgery last week (bi mastectomy reconstruction/tissue expanders with SNB and port placement), doing pretty well and expect to begin chemo within 3 weeks or so. Very scared about the chemo. Final pathology report is not in yet. And, btw, my tumor marker (CA 15-3) was 18. Obviously this is not a good indicator for me. Had BRCA testing – negative.
Sorry for the length of this. I’ll fill in my signature info once I get the final pathology back. This recurrence has really taken the wind out of my sails

Jaykay
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote