HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
yanyan

Question Surgery after 4 Chemos?

Hi,everyone. I am new to the group. I was dx in Jan 2011 with positive nodes. ER/PR -, Her2 +. My oncologist started me on chemo on Feb 22 ( neo adjuvant ). I have finished 4 cycles of Taxotere/Carboplatin with weekly herceptin. My onco said ususally they do surgery after 2 or 3 chemos but since we were waiting for my BRCA gene test result, it kinda of got delayed till after the 4th chemo. He said i can do surgery now and finish up the rest 2 chemos or i can wait till the end of chemo. I am very confused as he said it does not matter whichever way. I have decided to go with a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction- Latissimus flap with implants. My concern is: Since i will be off chemo 4 weeks prior and maybe 4 weeks after, i am scared cancer will grow? If my wound does not heal, it will be delayed even more; on the other hand, i am comfortable with the remaining 2 chemos killing residue cells that were not taken out by surgery but since i have already had 4, i think those 4 chemos should have done much of the job already; Also since i will have reconstruction at the time of mastetomy, if i do it now, it will give me plenty of time to get fully expanded prior to radiation. I am confused. Sometimes i wish our doctors can just tell us yes or no. Thanks !!
yanyan is offline   Reply With Quote