HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
amethyst3

Unhappy Just started Herceptin, worried about effects on heart.

I'm 39 yrs old and was diagnosed last year with bilateral breast cancer er-, pr- and her2+, grade 3 no node involvement. Had a right MX and left WLE. I am just over half way through my chemo 3 Fec and 1 tax with herceptin plus 2 Tax remain and year of herceptin. It has been an extremely difficult, emotionally and physically challenging journey which has now changed my life forever. Herceptin is meant to be this wonder drug that will reduce recurrence by 50% (so i have been told), but its the damage to my heart that concerns me. As if living with the fear of recurrence is not bad enough, I have to be extra vigilant about my heart too!. When will my visits to the hospital end! Is it really worth it? I ask myself. I have 3 wonderful kids 15, 12 and 5, who cannot wait for my treatment to end and my hair to grow back!. Its so difficult to be optimistic when your read such negatives about her2 being agressive and rate of recurrence is higher than er+. Having diagnosed with bi-lateral BC puts me at greater risk of recurrence? I dont know. Is there anyone out there who has had herceptin and been cancer free for more than 5yrs?
amethyst3 is offline   Reply With Quote