HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
DancerDonna

Lymphedema & 2nd sentinel node biopsy

I have breast cancer again in the same breast as the one that had it five years ago. Also, I'm HER2 + (both old and new cancers). Had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy the first time. Got lymphedema in both arm and hand a year later, although I only lost three lymph nodes. Got a terrific breast infection that caused it.

The new plan is to have a mastectomy with either SIEA or DIEP reconstruction by Dr. Ver Halen in Memphis. Saw the breast surgeon today who works with him. She plans to try to redo sentinel node biopsy again. Says she's done it again on some other women, but none of them already had lymphedema. So she doesn't know if it will cause it to become worse.

My breast surgeon in Nashville who did the lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy five years ago said the same thing. She's repeated sentinel node biopsy, but not on any women who already had lymphedema.

If the Memphis breast surgeon can't identify a sentinel node, she plans to remove all of the other lymph nodes that are in the first level or layer. She said that some individuals have only five in this layer and others have fifteen. So I don't know how many I may lose with this surgery. That scares me some.

So has anyone had repeat sentinel biopsy who already had lymphedema? If so, what were the effects on the lymphedema?

Or has anyone had attempted repeat sentinel node biopsy and instead, had a breast surgeon remove the lymph nodes in the first layer?

I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences. Thanks.
stage IIA, L. breast 1.6 cm ductal carcinoma, E+, Pr+, HER2+, 5/12/05; lumpectomy, chemo: adriamycin & cytoxin 4 x 3 wk., taxol 12 x 1 wk., herceptin 1 yr., rads, arimadex started 2/06 & still taking; sentinel node biopsy: 1st node had 1.5 cm tumor broken out of encapsulation & 2nd had microscopic cells, 3rd was clear. Lymphedema in L. arm & hand 6/06 caused by breast infection caused by breast leaking seroma thru nipple.
New ductal carcinoma tumor 6/21/10 in l. breast again with insitu. Size of tumor estimated at 1 mm from biopsy on 6/21 & breast MRI on 6/25. HER2+ again but only 5% E+ & Pr-. Mastectomy & SIEA or DIEP flap procedure with another sentinel node biopsy planned for early Sept.
DancerDonna is offline   Reply With Quote