HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
JustMe

Need Info!

Hi, I'm new here and am finding myself at a crossroads in my Tx. I'm hoping you ladies can provide enough info to help in my decision making.

I am 46 y/o and triple positive. 2/12 nodes were positive, Stage 11b, Grade 2. Had lumpectomy in Dec 09 and am due for my last TCH Tx on Monday and will continue with herceptin for a year.

When I found out my path report, I became uneasy that I had a lumpectomy done.

I've spoken to my family Dr. and explained why I wanted a blm - to reduce the risk of local recurrence in the affected breast as well as reduce the risk of new cancers in the affected breast. I know they cannot remove ALL the breast tissue, but it will make a difference.
Apparently I have a 40% chance of recurrence had I had no tx. FD sent a referral to my surgeon, to which I have not heard from yet.

I met with the Rad Onc yesterday, and discussed tx with him. My Onc said I needed to meet with him and make that decision or decide if I wanted only the nodes done because I am planning on BLM.

I signed the consent form as the Rad Onc recommended I have the nodes done at the very least. I understand that, and he is going to do the supraclavicular nodes as well. But, he states there is no difference in having a lumpectomy w rads vs. a BLM.

I think there is a difference. I saw my onc briefly afterward and one of the questions she asked me was, 'what about the other breast?' She's stated I am high risk at our very first appt.

So - if you've made it this far - you're a saint! I think if recurrence rate is higher, then it stands to reason that mets from recurrence will be too. What do you think?

When I talked to my onc about what the rad onc said, she's basically willing to go along with that also, stating it's 'standard'.

Basically, it wouldn't change any of the tx I have to receive, including chemo, herceptin, tamoxifen. But, it would reduce the risk of local recurrence/new cancers.

I know the ladies here are very informed, and am looking for more information regarding this, and no one can make this decision for me. Any info is gladly appreciated.

Thanks
JustMe is offline   Reply With Quote