HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Mary Jo

5 years and the journey has been anything but dull

Hello her2 family.....

It's been awhile but thought I should pop in to give you a little update and the happenings in my life.

I will celebrate my 5 year cancerversary June 24, 2010. I can hardly believe it's been 5 years but then again, it feels like all that I went through 5 years ago never really happened to me. That sounds odd I know....but it's how I feel. It seems like it happened to somewhen else and not to me. However, all that being said.....the blessings that followed truly happened to me and life has been anything BUT dull.

In 8 days me and 40 others are traveling to Nairobi and Malindi, Kenya to do mission work. We will be visiting an orphanage....doing some light construction and coordinating and having Vacation Bible School for approximately 450 children. Also while their I will get to meet the little girl me and my husband sponsor through Compassion International. Two days before we are to leave to come back to the USA we will be worshiping with 3 groups of different Kenyan people. I was asked to give a devotion/talk on a verse of scripture that had meaning to me. At first I felt incredibly intimidated by that "calling" but then realized that Romans 8:28 needed to get out. It's my verse....it's the verse I repeated (prayed) almost daily during my diagnosis, treatment and learning to live in my "new normal." That verse promises ...." for we know that in all things God works for good for those who love Him and were called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28) - 5 years ago I cried out to God and said "Lord if I ever needed you I need you now......Please use me and all I will go through to bring Glory to you" Wow, did He ever....the journey has been anything but dull.....

I will share my story with the Kenyan people.... I will tell them that when we walk with the Lord, even when a situation seems at it worst, God can and does turn it all for good. That's not to say that any given situation we are in goes the way we want it too.....but God can take all situations and make them blessings in our life....Those blessings come when we know that God is God and living for Him is what becomes the most important thing. That's when peace, contentment and true happiness reign in our hearts. It's where my journey led me and I am incredibly thankful.

You guys have always been important to me and always will be. I check in on you often and pray as I read the stories.

Love and God's Peace I pray for you all.....

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED