HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
1rarebird

Chemo and bone loss questions

My questions are how often and how badly do chemo-therapies lead to bone loss, thinning, osteopnia and ultimately osteoporosis?

Today I was handed a copy of a bone density scan recently done on me that shows moderately severe osteopenia of my thigh bones (T scores of -2.1 and -1.7) . Two years ago the T scores were normal but since then I have undergone 6 rounds of Taxotere and Carboplatin. Now I know those drugs did a number on my bone marrow, since my complete blood counts were in the tank after the chemo was completed 4 months ago, but I was surprised to see such a dramatic impact on my bone density. I have been taking vitamin D3 supplements even before the chemo started and I have now started supplementing with calcium. So I am wondering if I should expect the bone loss to get more pronounced and when does Boniva, Fosamax, etc. start to be indicated for cancer patients having received chemo.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
osteopenia, osteoporosis