HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
alicem

Pedaling Past Breast Cancer

On May 5th I received my last TCH infusion. I was so ready for the chemo to end so that I could start working on my fitness again. That day, I opened an e-mail telling me about a new fundraiser in the Central Texas area that would benefit 10 organizations that offer services for all breast cancer patients and their families. (Hopefully we are all very aware of how amazing local non-profit breast cancer support groups can be.) It was an answer to my prayer. Instead of dreading the next 3 weeks of the side effects of the chemo, I could concentrate on a new goal of getting back on my bike to help many who would soon follow in my shoes.

The event is called the Texas Mamma Jamma Ride Against Breast Cancer. I was immediately drawn to this ride because I love to ride my bike AND I've had breast cancer. It is the hope of the organizers to start this in Texas, and grow it to other states just like the Race for the Cure has. After all, not everyone likes to run, but many like to ride their bikes!! That is where you all come in. I have thought that there is no better way, (short of being on Oprah!!), to get the word out to other parts of the country than to share this great idea with all of my family here at the Her2 Forum.

I was asked to be on a local show called Austin Faith Dialogue, along with the Honorary Chair of the event, to talk about my experiences as well as my passion for this event. The show has just been uploaded to YouTube so I thought I would post it here for anyone interested. It is in 3 separate parts, all 9 1/2 minutes long.

On a side note, I have been training pretty hard and have put in almost 1000 miles on my bike since my chemo ended. It is my plan to ride the 100 mile route with my husband on the day of the ride. We rode 60 miles this past Saturday so I am beginning to think it is a possibility. Oh, and yes, the day of the ride - October 10th will be almost 1 year after I had my lumpectomy and hysterectomy. I will be thinking of all of you as I ride through the beautiful hill country of Texas! (I'm also attaching a picture of Mark and I from last Saturday. You can see how the hair is starting to grow in, but it is also more gray than I prefer!)

Let me know if any of you are interested in starting a ride like this in your community or State next year and I will send you the contact information you need!

Link to Part One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTmhX5u512A
Link to Part Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9uZ0OKXuT8
Link to Part Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H2ZWOAXm-g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark's mamma jamma picture 002.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	647  
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote