HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Cal-Gal

New member---Prayers and Positive thoughts requested

Hello Courageous Men and Women,

I am 53 years old, single, with two grown daughters in their 30's and 7 grandchildren.

I was first diagnosed via mammogram, with DCIS in November '08.

This was shocking as I did miss one year of a Mammo--however, 2 yrs prior I had the FULL workup Mammo-MRI-Ultrasound--and I was CLEAN!!!!

I actually received "The Call" from my Doctor as I was boarding a plane to relocate back to the West Coast for a new job.

I left that day, put my house up for sale...thought I would be back in a few weeks to finish packing. All I had with me was my two suitcases and my dog (left the cat with a relative, again, thought it was for a few weeks.)

My staging MRI a few weeks later uncovered ILC--I had a bilat mastectomy in January '09, opted for no reconstruction. A good decision on my mastectomy, as my surgical path showed (in the one breast) 4 tumors as well as 11cm of DCIS.

A few months later, after chemo round 2, I lost my job (yes the one I relocated here for) due to my cancer diagnosis--well not what they said, but this is what happened. While I was able to complete my remaining 4 rounds of chemo without the stress of the job--(I worked like a dog from the time I got there) It still was stressful knowing that once I completed treatment that I would be "unemployed" and looking for a job.

Moved in with my daughter and her family right before surgery-not wanting to go through this ordeal alone (it is crowded here) didn't know I would lose my job--had intended on moving right after treatment ended....

I finished chemo about 4 weeks ago, 6 rounds of TAC -started Herceptin on 6/12. I thank God everynight for this drug that I am so fortunate to receive. On my IHC, I am HER2 2-3+ on FISH I am equivocal.

Here I am over 7 months later....Grateful to be alive and that I am early stage.....

I remain positive, although I have had my moments......

Prayers needed for me to find employment here in CA, asap.......And that I sell that house QUICK!!!!

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but this disease is financially straining.

While I am grateful for insurance, the out of pocket expenses on my PPO are quite hefty--I never thought I would have to use the equity from my house--'my retirement' to fund my 'stayin alive' foundation.......

Thank you all for the contribution you are to others and
Blessings to all of you for reading this.
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote