HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
TriciaK

Good news and not-so-good from TriciaK

I said I would report on the results of my 6-months cancer checkup last week: I am delighted to say I am still dancing with NED! (I have a mantra I always repeat over and over in the PET or MRI along with the rhythm of the machine. It is: NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE. Since I am close to my 5th cancerversary fighting her2 BC, it may be working! )
The not-so-good news is that I am having more heart problems. You may remember that I had a heart attack in June, 2004, that actually saved my life, because the CT showed that BC was back, this time her2 and in my lung. I spent over a year on herceptin, plus navelbine the first 6 months and femara forever. I had first had BC in 1985, had bilateral surgery and transplants. It showed up again in 1990 in my spine, but tamoxifen and some extra unconvential treatments like hypnosis and change of diet seemed to have stopped it, since I was clear for about 15 years. ( My last MRI 1995 showed "Healed Metastatic BC" so I just forgot about any more checkups---which is why the heart attack saved my life. I would not have known about the her2 BC until too late.)
I had a triple heart bypass in 2006, and did well afterwards until the last year. I have been weak and dizzy and just not doing well. I went to the ER on Dec. 15, and they found a blood clot in my right lung. I still have not been doing too well since 4 days of treatment then with heparin and then coumadin, so I saw a new cardiologist Friday who looked at my history, including the last angiogram last fall and the recent PET and CTs. She then said "I am really worried about you! I want to put you back in the hospital and have the cardiac surgeons do another angiogram, but this time thread the camera up through the groin on both sides, not just one, so they can look at the heart and both lungs."
As you know, I am 79 years old and have been fighting BC since 1985 and congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy for about the last 4 years. We have an outstanding hospital here with the best cardiac unit in the state, and the doctors that will do the procedure are considered the best of the best.
At my age it is a little scary though, and I am asking for the thoughts and prayers of you wonderful warriors. The procedure will be tomorrow afternoon. I have a strong spirit and a lot of faith, so with your prayers and those of my large family, I am expecting good results ! Thank you for being there for me as we are for each other. I am in awe of all you have gone through and how strong you are! Love and hugs, Tricia K (in beautiful St George, Utah).

Last edited by TriciaK; 01-11-2009 at 03:58 PM..
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote