HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
sarah

French medical system

Regarding the French medical system which works extremely well, I feel it should be considered as a model to look at for the US. I live in France, have HER2 cancer and have been treated in both the US and France. The big difference for me, is no insurance company to hassle with.
Brenda, as for costs, in France it's not 18%; it's 8% after a deduction of about $10,000 (8,000 plus euro) per person. At the end, I've attached the French Republique site and the paragraph if you want to check.
Additionally you pay about 40% for prescriptions and doctor visits. Prescriptions are cheaper here and my GP costs 22 euro per visit. so for non-cancer related visits, she costs me about 6 euro. My US GP cost $360 a visit.
I don't know how much you all pay for your insurance but the lowest price I've had friends tell me they pay is $15,000 a year and I have many unfortunate friends without any insurance - luckily they seem to be quite healthy!
Since I have cancer, I'm taken in charge for 100% (drugs, doctors, treatment) for anything related to my cancer. The sicker you are, the less you pay.
While we didn't move to France because of its medical system, I'm very happy I'm here now that I'm sick again.
In the US we paid around $10,000 a year in 1999, plus $20,000 for uncovered expenses for my cancer. I wasn't given chemotherapy, radiation or Femara at that time. Luckily California, where I lived then, had strict regulations otherwise who knows what would have been "allowed."
The surgery in the US was very well done as has the surgery done here been.
I know my Canadian sisters would also defend their universal health - it's not a communist plot - it's the humane and less complicated.
Brenda for you:
Taux et calcul de la cotisation
Elle s'élève Ã* 8% des revenus perçus au cours de l'année civile précédente, déduction faite du plafond annuel de 8 644 EUR .
Elle est calculée annuellement, pour la période allant du 1er octobre au 30 septembre de l'année suivante.

Rates and calculating the contribution
8% of income earned during the previous calendar year, minus the annual ceiling of EUR 8 644.
It is calculated annually for the period from October 1 to September 30 the following year.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/p...%20base&l=N428

sarah is offline   Reply With Quote