HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Sherryg683

Had a scare here

I haven't had a mammogram in 2-1/2 years, since diagnosis. My oncologist said they were unnecessary since I was having pet/cts so often. This last visit to him, he said it would probably be good to get one. I didn't like the idea of having my breasts squished (they hurt so bad with scar tissue), so he ordered an MRI instead. I went to a local Womans Hospital not affiliated with the clinic or hospital my Oncologist works at. Well, the day after the MRI, I get a call from Womans Hospital wanting to know if I had a recent mammogram that they could compare the MRI to. I asked to speak to the radiologist personally and was lucky enough to get him to talk to me and tell me that a spot in my breast was suspicious, that a spot on the tumor bed had lit up slightly, and he needed further scans to compare, he felt it was probably nothing but was being careful. They called my oncologists office to tell him what they wanted to do. From talking to my oncologists nurse because he didn't return my call personally, he was furious that they had called me personally and not allowed him to give me the results. He refused to order the additional mammogram and ultrasound that they wanted. He said that I was his patient and he was aware of what was going on with me and that he had already determined this was scar tissue. He then told his nurse to tell me to get my scans and go see the surgeon who had performed my lumpectomy, she would know more of where the exact tumor bed was. I haven't seen this woman in 2 years and didn't like her anyway. I ended up calling the nice radiologist back and tell him my oncologist was having ego issues and wouldn't approve the mammogram and ultrasound. He said he would write the orders. It all came back fine, it was indeed just scar tissue but I am miffed with my oncologist. I see him tomorrow and am trying to think of a tactful way to tell him, I don't appreciate his actions. If he had problems with the hospital calling me then deal with them, but don't deny me answers that he knew I would want. It was just a mammogram for goodness sake and I had a clear answer. He has never denied me any scan that i have ever asked for. I am not sure what's going on. Sorry this is so long, just wondering if I am over reacting..sherryg683

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote