HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #1
madubois63

Notes from Cancer Research Conference

From StephN:
This is a HUGE conference and the site is at least 8 blocks long. That means a lot of time on our feet!

There have been some interesting sessions that have information boding positive for the future of breast cancer. I trolled some of the big drug companies to see if there are any new drugs coming into trial that are about to open.
YES! Some exciting trial using more targeted therapies are about to open. More specific links and info to come.

More soon.

From Madubois63:
Steph is NOT kidding when she said the conference is HUGE!!! Yesterday, I spent the day getting lost trying to find some of the sessions that were going on, walking back and forth before finally finding the right rooms and still getting used to the time difference. at one of the sessions, I spoke up at the q&a about "US" and our desire to do something with our slides. Before long, Joe had an e-mail from a Dr that is very interested in us. Today was the day that the exhibits opened. Joe and Christine pretty much had everything set up by the time Steph and I got to the conference center. The exhibit hall opened up at 12, but people came in earlier. The were people from everywhere. we gave out mouse pads, brochures, pens and pins. Tiptoe and Tex came with us. They were sitting on the table and someone tried to take Tex. So we had to hide them under the table. They did come out for some pics, but mostly had to hide. Joe found a new companion, she's a chicken without a name as of yet. So now they are a trio. There were also several people that asked if I was the woman that spoke about the her2 slides. I'll collect all the info/contacts and pass it on, but I think something may come out of this. towards the end of the day, a man passing by saw our booth and mumbled that he named the gene. Steph immediately recognized that man's name on his tag. Prof. Dr. Axel Ullrich is the man that discovered and named the Her2neu gene and assisted on creating Herceptin. I cried and hugged him. I felt kind of silly getting so emotional, but I knew I was in the presence of a great man!!! we all talked for a bit and took pictures. You'll have to wait for the pics because I don't know where the editing tool to resize pics is on this stupid laptop. After we closed shop in the exhibit hall, Joe, Christine, Steph and I went to a session on Her2. The speaker was the other doc (Dr. Dennis Slamon) that created Herceptin. This was all very exciting for me. we had a great day. Joe and Christine went home, and Steph, Tiptoe, Tex and the chicken without a name and I all went out to dinner. Time for bed now, but more info to come....love to all!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver