HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
schoolteacher

Smile Good News and Advice

I got the results of my brain MRI and PET scan yesterday. There was no sign of cancer in my brain. YEA! Around 3 the oncologist called me. He wanted me to hear some more positive news. My PET scan did not show any sign of active cancer anywhere in my body. I had a a multifocal tumor in my right breast, two lymph nodes, and a spot on my L4 on my spine. Praise God! He and the radiologist could not believe the results. He was not able to tell me my SUVs yesterday because they had not been typed up yet. I have had four taxol/Herceptin treatments since the AC did not work. I developed skin nodes taking the AC. I took Taxol/Herceptin on a Thursday, and by Saturday the skin nodes had almost disappeared except for the redness left from where they were. The redness is hardly noticeable now.

I have my mastectomy next Wednesday. The oncologist still wants to take most of my lymph nodes. The surgeon is going to do a sentinel node biopsy before the surgery. My mom does not understand why I still have to have the mastectomy if there is not any sign of cancer showing up in my breast now. I tried explaining to her about small cancer cells.

Before the results of the PET scan, the doctor was talking to me about doing more treatment with Taxotere/Carboplantin/ Herceptin after my body is healed up. I am worried about not getting my Herceptin on Thursday. I have had 9 Herceptin treatments so far. I believe the Herceptin is what caused my tumors to shrink. I asked him if I could have the infusion before I leave the hospital on Thursday morning. He said, "If it would ease my mind I could." What do some of you think about this?"

He also discussed with me not have radiation to my chest after having the mastectomy. From reading on this board and articles, I know a lot of you have had the radiation after the mastectomy. Will some of you please post a response, so I can gain knowledge about what to do concerning the radiation? The knowledge I have gained on this board has been very valuable to me throughout my treatment.

I would also like to send part of what is left of the tumor in my breast to a site that was mentioned at the first of the year. If any of you know the name of the site, please let me know, so I can get the pathologist to send it where it needs to go.

I hope all you Ladies, Bill and Joe have a blessing for helping me through this journey in my life. Many of you will never know the encouragement and knowledge I have gained from reading the post on this board.

Please keep me in your prayers next Wednesday when I will be having my mastectomy.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote