HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
nitewind

Unhappy I need to vent a little

I know that everyone here is going thru some rough times and I'm sorry to lay this on you but if I don't get it out and get some opinions, I know I'll go crazy. Maybe you can tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm expecting to much or I'm to thin skinned.
I had two episodes this past week of shortness of breath and a total feeling of weakness in my arms and upper body. I went to my room and laid down and I either fell asleep or passed out, I remember coming to three or four times. This really scared me. I wasn't doing anything strenous at the time. The first episode I was still in bed and hadn't gotten up yet for the day. The second time, I was sitting here at my computer.
I put a call in to my oncs office and they gave me an appointment for yesterday. Dr. listened to my story and said "well, your lifting your arms now, there's no weakness". He listened to my heart for about 10 seconds. I asked him that since I finished the herceptin in Dec, did he think I should get an echo to make sure everything is okay. He said "no" no scans, no tests unless there are symptoms. Hello? I told him that I would feel better if I could just get checked out so he reluctantly had me scheduled for and appointment with a cardiologist. I then asked him, is there any way to know if all the treatments that I've had worked,(just looking for a little encouragement) he said "no, there's no way to tell, just wait and see". I also asked about having my lab work checked and he said, no need. From the examing room, I then went to have my port flushed. My favorite nurse was there and she knew that I was upset. Asked me what was wrong, I told her that the doctor is a freakin azzhole. She was pretty much in agreement with me, told me that's the way he is with everyone, including the staff, but that he is a very good doctor or she wouldn't be working for him. I just needed a little ray of sunshine, I've had a rough couple of years, between smashing my hip and the cancer treatments. Am I expecting to much from the doctor? I read that so many of you have such caring doctors. All I really wanted to hear from him is that we will get thru this and no matter what, we'll do what it takes and find out what's going on. I don't want him to lie to me, just give me a little encouragement.
Am I just losing it or what? He isn't planning on any testing at all, no echo, no scans, not even an x-ray.
I have learned one thing, if I have anymore symptoms I will call my primary doctor, I should have done that in the first place. He is very thorough and wouldn't just let it go. Guess I'm just feeling very let down and feeling like I'm out here on my own in unknown territory. I'm so glad that I have all of you.
Okay, I'm done with my rant, thanks so much for listening.
Hugs
2 cm/ 0 nodes
Lumpectomy rt breast on 7/26/06
ER/PR- / Her2+++
A/C x 4
finished taxotere 2/07
finished 33 rads
Herceptin finished 12/07/07 Yippee!
nitewind is offline   Reply With Quote