HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Louise O'Brien

Plastic Surgeon appointment

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon tomorrow to discuss reconstruction surgery. I had a left breast mastectomy Sept. 23/06 (diagnosed in August 2006) and am currently on Herceptin which I wrap up on March 20 2008. The tumour was 1.5 cm and there was no spread to the lymph or sentinel nodes.

Any advice? Any questions I should be asking? The surgeon who did the mastectomy has told me the plastic surgeon will probably want to do a reduction on the remaining right breast and frankly that makes me quite happy. I don't want to be as large since right now I'm between a C & D cup. A "B" would suit me just fine.

One of the chemo nurses suggested the surgeon might take tissue from the remaining breast but is that a good idea given that I'm Her2 positive? My husband also worries that a reduction to the right breast might make mammograms more difficult to read.

There could be questions I don't even know to ask. I'm guessing the surgery can't take place until late next spring or early fall when Herceptin is done and the port is out (given that there will probably be surgery to reduce the right breast.) The delay will also be due to the fact that this is the most in-demand plastic surgeon in our area. All the chemo nurses have told me - if they were in the same boat - this is the guy they would want.

And then there's recovery. I have this awful feeling that this surgery will be far worse in terms of recovery than the mastectomy. (Love the people who like to tell me how awful it will be, the hell their friends went through etc. etc.)

That's my big worry. I feel pretty good now after wraping up chemo and I'd hate to slip back. I feel strongly though that reconstruction surgery would be a good idea for me - I'd just like to feel and look more normal.

So whatever observations you have would be most welcome.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote