HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
Grace

Flaxseed/Pumpkin muffins

It’s taken me a few experiments to get this muffin right, so that it has sufficient flaxseed to aid in the fight against HER2 cancer but still tastes good. My husband eats them and he’s devoted to food and totally unconcerned with health, so I think I’ve hit the right mixture. This recipe is for medium-sized muffins. I make nine muffins but the mix will also do for twelve smaller muffins. If you make only the nine, each muffin contains 10 grams of flaxseed.

Note: Recipe calls for well-ground flaxseed. I use a coffee grinder and do the grinding at baking time.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>One cup and a bit more of all-purpose flour

One cup, loosely filled, of ground flaxseed (loosely filled and leveled equals 90 grams)

2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

<o> </o> 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg<o></o>

½ cup light brown sugar<o></o>

one cup of raisins (or cranberries for a tart taste)
<o></o>
one cup pumpkin puree (I use Libby’s pie filling)<o></o>

2 eggs<o></o>

½ cup skim milk<o></o>

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.<o></o>

Spray a muffin tin<o></o>

Sift the four, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together. When sifted add raisons or cranberries and mix. Or make plain.<o></o>

In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, and milk<o></o>

Fold liquid mixture into dry without over mixing but be sure they are combined.<o></o>

Divide batter among nine (or twelve) muffin cups. I bake in two batches as I have only one muffin tin. Bake in middle of oven for 25 minutes.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>Note: I don’t use any oil, as flaxseed provides more than enough. <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>

I wrap the muffins individually and freeze. I eat one muffin a day, heating in microwave for one minute. I also have a bowl of Irish oatmeal every day, mixing in 15 grams of ground flaxseed (about 4 heaping tablespoons) and skim milk. The muffin and oatmeal provide me with my 25 grams of flaxseed per day, which is what was used in the Canadian study, a copy of which can be found on this site. I tried muffins with 25 grams of flaxseed per muffin but the taste was off-putting.<o></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o></o>