HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2007, 02:57 AM   #1
Bobby

Exclamation Need to help my mom! [In desperate need of Tykerb]

Hello Everyone:

This is a wonderful outlet for so many victims of this terrible disease. I normally would not be posting on such a site; I'm 23 years old and never had so much as a broken bone to worry about, but on New Year's Eve 2004 my mom fell terribly ill. That evening my entire family could tell that something wasn't right.

That was over 2 years ago and I was 20 at the time. While everyone was in my house getting ready to toast 2004 away and welcome in the new year, my mom was sitting quietly on the sofa: nauseated and tired. She threw-up that night. On New Year's day my dad took her to the hospital.

After going through a litany of tests, the doctor discovered several tumors in her brain. Later we found out that there was one large metastatic lesion to her cerebellum that needed to be removed immediately. Always a tough lady -- the night before the surgery she declined to cancel dinner on our family friends -- she hosted without letting so much as broken china or burnt food ruin the evening.

Later I would find out that my 47 year old mother, who had never smoked a single cigarette in her life, had been diagnosed with Stage 3 Non Small-cell Lung Carcinoma. As of this date, these are all the major procedures she has had to endure:

1. Craniotomy
2. Right Middle Lobectomy
3. Chemotherapy (Cisplatimum, alimtaete)
4. Gamma-knife procedures to multiple small metastatic lesions to brain & pelvic bones.
5. Paracenthesis (5 times)
6. Thoracenthesis to right plural space (2 times)

Currently, she is on 150mg of Tarceva. She appears to have only a partial response to the medication. Her health has deteriorated dramatically since she was first diagnosed and I'm beginning to feel real fear for the first time in my life. I see my father, a doctor himself, tormented on a daily basis by his inability to stop the progression of this disease. I feel completely torn apart by the sight of my dad scattering every which way to bring the slightest bit of hope to my mom. I worry about him, just as much as worry about her. And my sister, how can I make her stop crying?

My father, with recommendations from the oncologist, has been putting off Avastin due to high risk of complications. Our next potential treatment drug is Lapatinib (Tykerb). My mom was taken off the trial, literally days before she was supposed to start taking Lapatinib, because she did not fit THEIR criteria.

I have called GSK and talked to them and so has my father. We have been told that the drug should be FDA approved by March, but I'm afraid we don't have that much time. I'm desperate here and am asking all and anyone of you members out there to help. I have heard about Compassionate Use Programs, but don't know through what channels to go through to get this drug.

Does anyone out there have Tykerb or know where I can buy it? Money is not a problem. I just don't know what to do at this point. My father, who has been a Medical Doctor all his life, cannot so much as get a glance at this new drug. Can someone out there help? Please.

Call me at 650.339.3155 or email at doublecrimson@gmail.com me. I live in the Bay Area. Thank you...
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote