HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #1
IVW

Long time survival

Please pardon me while I mope a little..

I am a longterm survivor of breast cancer, 7 years since first diagonsis. 4 years since recurrence, 1 1/2 years since brain mets successfully treated. Usually I feel grateful for being here taking care of my kids and feeling well. I try to do everything I can possibly do on my own to prevent another relapse as well as taking herceptin and zometa. I have learned to usually keep cancer in a box on the shelf so I don't get too scared. I speak frequently to other women with breast cancer about my experiences because I am an example of hope for long term survival.

Today it feels like agony, like waiting for the proverbial second shoe to drop. As my onc. at the big name cancer institute told me today, short of a miracle, it is just a matter of time before the breast cancer will return, probably more brain mets. Overstating the obvious, for sure! Here I was feeling lucky that I had breast cancer not lung cancer or ovarian because I seem to have more treatment options. Silly me. Well, I will keep plugging away and hope for that miracle that I will survive long enough to see my kids grow up with most of my brain intact!

How do others in this situation handle the stress? I know the answer to this for myself because I have been doing this for so long. Someone else in my long term situation? Just curious.

IVW

-1999 Diagnosed at 39 after birth of third child. IDC, 36 nodes+, ER+, her2+
Mastectomy, chemo., radiation to chest and node area, tamoxifen.
-Late 2002 recurrence to bones and eventually to liver and lungs while on hormanals
-2004 Start Herceptin/navelbine weekly, cleared up within the year. Continued treatmen for one yeart.
-2005 3 Brain mets., no cancer in body. Whole brain radiation followed by radiosurgery.
-2006 Everything clear for 1.5 yrs. continuing on Herceptin and Zometa...
IVW is offline   Reply With Quote