HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #1
Tom

Wink Good news/bad news

Got Mom's MUGA results yesterday, and was fairly pleased. Her score went back up to 60% from 49%. Of course I was hoping that it would be closer to the 80% where she started before Herceptin, but I realize those days may be gone.

So now the onc has agreed to a PET/CT to see where we are. This guy is an angel from God. He is the most pleasant physician I ever dealt with. I asked him one day how he could be so nice all the time, and if when he finally got home at night he beat his wife and kids to make up for it...lol.

I also received the Tykerb EAP kit from GSK. Careful reading revealed that Mom does not qualify at this time, unless we find some hard evidence of metastatic disease. I'm not complaining, mind you, but it would have been a nice option until Tykerb is FDA approved.

The decision that must be made now is whether to restart Herceptin in the meantime if there is still no evidence of metastases. If something does show up, the answer is a no-brainer, and perfect for me right now as I am so worn out from all the worry I feel like I have no brain anyway. I think decision making in cancer treatment of a loved one is brutal, and you don't always get a second chance to do the right thing. You had to admire the persistance of Al. God bless you buddy. I hope you have recovered a bit from your ordeal.

Anyway, I would suggest to anyone that they call and order the Tykerb package from GSK if for no other reason than the chance to get ahold of the most detailed biotech brochure for any disease I have ever seen. There is even a CD inside. The information provided in this little envelope was nothing short of astounding. AND it's a well-printed, full color piece, so it's fun to look at the pictures as well...lol.

I'll let you know what the PET/CT shows. At least they won't scew up this time and have to do the PET and CT separately. I will also check to see if U of Penn has finished setting up their new proton accelorator yet. It was in the very early stages as Mom finished her XRT some time ago.

Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote