HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
TriciaK

Update from TriciaK

Hello everyone! I have been mostly lurking for the last several months, but you have all been in my thoughts and prayers. As I read all the posts I feel so much emotion and love for you and all the struggles you are going through. My heart aches for those who have left us and for their families. I feel guilty that I am still alive at 76 and others so much younger have lost the fight. I don't understand why this is. I felt that maybe I shouldn't post because of my feelings, but then I realize that perhaps I can be a beacon of hope to someone who needs it right now, that having fought the BC beast for 21+ years and so far won, I not only should post, but must post.
I am now 2 years and 4 months past my last diagnosis of stage IV lung mets, in July 2004, this time Her2. I went off herceptin Nov. 15 last year, when my EF dropped to 30. I had been on it for nearly 15 months, plus femara and 6 months of navelbine. I had a PET/CT scan July 22 this year which shows still NED. I had triple bypass heart surgery May 8 this year and have recovered so well I no longer need to be on oxygen even in the mountains.
Now I am undertaking one of life's challenges, moving again---the 3rd time in 3 years!! This time I am feeling strong enough to do most of the packing myself. We are moving from the big city of Mesa, Az. (next to Phoenix) to the much smaller beautiful city of St. George, Utah. We are excited because we are downsizing to a lovely adult community where my husband won't have to do yardwork anymore, and we are closer to children and grandchildren.
Last week I told my oncologist and the onc nurses. There were tears and hugs all around. My onc said I was one of his success stories--he's been there for me for 21 years--and as he hugged me he said "I am only a phone call away." In 2004 he thought I only had 3 months to live at most. He has been most impressed with my knowledge, which came from this website. Thanks to this website our relationship went from an oncologist making all decisions for a helpless patient to an equal team making decisions together---all thanks to you!
I will be offline for a short while as we transition after Oct. 16, but I will be back on ASAP and you will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. It will be hard to find a new oncology team but there is a branch of the Huntsman Cancer Center in St. George so I will be in good hands.
I just wanted to let you know what's happening and why I haven't been posting much lately. I will always be available to you, and if any of you who are new need help in self-hypnosis and psychonueroimmunology visualization, I am available for you especially. Best wishes and love and prayers to all! I feel you are very special friends, and send my gratitude to all you who have taught me so much, and to Joe and Christine for making this site possible. Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote