HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Questions From Skibunny

Hi! I am new to this. I have some questions, but do not know how to send them so they are seen by others and can be answered. I will introduce myself. I have a recurrence of DCIS in the same breast after 2 years. I was diagnosed with DCIS with microinvasion in December 2003. I had a lumpectomy, reexcision, sentinal node biopsy with negative nodes and radiation which I finished in May 2004. I am ER-,PR- and HER2+ so I was not a candidate for Tamoxifin or Arimidex. I was not incvasive so I did not have chemotherapy. My recurrence was found on an MRI in July, 2006. It is non invasive in the same spot as before and my hormone receptors are the same as before. I was told I need to have a mastectomy.I am eligible for a Phase I vaccine study but am worried about the risks. The vaccinne is designed to increase the immune system's response to tumors, but it may also encourage the entire system to attack normal healthy cells, which could lead to autoimmune disease. The vaccine in this reaserch trial is designed to teach the immune system to recognize and attack only DCIS cells. Some of the DCIS cells are similar to cells found on normal tissue including the heart muscle. It is possible the immune system could attack the normal cells leading to damage of normal tissues such as the heart. Only 10 people have received this vaccine and there have not been any side effects.

My questions are:
Has anyone been on a clinical trial where they developed autoimmune disease?
Given that my cancer recurred in such a short period of time, what is the liklihood of it returning again after I have a mastectomy?
Should I try to have my body develop antibodies for the HER2 protein now rather than later if the cancer recurs again?
Has anyone had any side effects form HER2 peptide vaccines?

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album

Last edited by Joe; 09-17-2006 at 07:42 PM..
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote