HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-14-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
stephanie59

Need Feedback

Wow! I found this site completely by accident through an article about Herceptin in Woman's Day magazine.

My story is a little different. I was diagnosed Stage 2 (one lymph node) breast cancer that was HER 2 positive (3+) almost 8 years ago at age 51. Although at that time they did not routinely test for HER 2 I got lucky.

After research showed me how aggressive this kind of cancer can be I went on the hunt for the right oncologist.
After three who blew the HER 2 diagnosis off and offered me routine A/C Chemo treatment, I found Dr. Thomas Shiftan (currently an active member of the HER2 community) who proposed a very aggressive program of four A/C treatments followed by 4 Taxol treatments. I also took Tomoxifin for five years and am now on Femara (the tumor was also +1 estrogen positive).

Herceptin was finishing clinical trials for women who had recurred and had just been FDA approved. However, as a newly diagnosed cancer patient, I was not able to receive Herceptin as part of my treatment. Later, when they begin clinical trial for newly diagnosed patients, I was not eligible because I had already received chemo. Since I believe it is a real miracle treatment, it has been very frustrating to me not to be able to get it.

I don't know any one else with my type of cancer. Even though I have been cancer-free for 8 years and my oncologist is very positive, I need some feedback from other HER2 survivors.

Is there anyone out there like me who has survived HER2 positive cancer without Herceptin? If so, how long has it been? Does anyone have any idea if an 8-year survival rate indicates that I am out of the woods?

Thanks for letting me share my story. I hope to hear from some of you soon. Stephanie
stephanie59 is offline   Reply With Quote