HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Ora

Chantix - Remarkable Stop Smoking Drug

Everyone here has been so helpful and I finally have something that helped me to pass along. I have tried to quit smoking for so long and tried really hard since I found my bc. My cardiologist said people were having great success with Chantix and prescribed it about a month ago. I cut down the first week, then stopped completely that weekend and haven't wanted one since. I really think I have finally stopped smoking! I know there are a few others out there that have been trying too and I just wanted them to know about this drug. I know, another pill. This one works. AND I haven't gained weight (but I haven't lost weight either.) I tried the gum, lozenges, zyban, you name it. I see every other medication advertised on TV, even for restless feet, but I haven't seen this one. It's kind of like it's a big secret, and I don't know about side effects. Maybe you're not on it long enough to have many side effects, although I probably would have tried anything to quit smoking. It is kind of expensive but so are cigarettes. Now if I could just find a pill to quit eating.
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Thanks for the tip!!

A few of my friends who are also cancer patients have managed to stop
with this drug also.
I live in Ireland and am not sure if it's available here but will ask my Onc
when I see her in early May.
Congrats on stopping,I've tried everything since dx and don't mind the cost
if it'll finally change me to a non smoker!!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Mary Jo

Hello "Ora"

I am so happy you've found something to help you stop smoking. Keep up the good work. There probably isn't anything more important you could have done for yourself. To "lose" the addiction is a great and powerful feeling. It feels so good when those cigarettes don't have a hold over you. And to know that your body is thanking you ~ your lungs are breathing a sigh of relief ~ your heart is getting stronger ~ your stamina is getting stronger ~ your taste buds are coming back to normal ~ the smell is gone.......................ahhhhhhhhhh, it sounds like a breath of fresh air doesn't it?

I can very much relate. I just celebrated my 14th year, March 2, of being free of that addiction.

Hugs ~

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06