HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Caroline UK

Needing advice about gym

Hi everyone,
At long last I'm happy to say that I'm getting some energy back after a hell of a year. I'm going to start swimming again this week, but also want to go to the gym which I haven't done before...I'm afraid of doing the wrong thing when it comes to exercising my arms.
I had a right, modified radical mastectomy June last year, with chemo and 25 lots of radiotherapy which finished in February just gone. Touch wood, I don't have lymphodoema in my arm, and I'm not sure what I should and shouldn't do exercise-wise to help avoid it. I've been told not to lift heavy weights, and not to swing my arm around too violently, but other than that, does anyone have any advice for me? I just don't know what to do.
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Becky

Go to the gym and work out. Just be very careful about your affected arm side and go slowllllyyyy. The new way of thinking is to lift weights but do so caringly and slowly on that side. Light weights, not as many repetitions and work up to it. Same with the swimming - avoid excessive fatigue but do it and work up to it. It is good for that arm. I do lots of calistinics and light weights (only one or two time per week because it is my cross-training exercise as I am a runner and do the others for something different). But even with running (I was before but chemo killed my energy, taxol killed my legs and Herceptin took my breath away but finally, I am well at it again. I started walking for almost 2 years before I got back into it and you even have to be careful with your arm in walking or running as the swinging arm can force fluid into the hand).

Its always something. The biggest thing to watch (in my opinion) is injury - especially a wound (puncture wounds are the worst) and always carry Neosporin and a bandaide around with you. If it gets real red, get an antibiotic from your doctor.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Linda

I had a lumpectomy with full ax dissection and intense rads (including super clavs), so probably pretty similar treatment impact. I've always worked out, although during treatment I only walked. But then I started back slowly with the gym, after rads were done. I didn't use anything heavier than 5 pounds for my upper body for a few months, but gradually worked up and now I am pretty much back at my old workout, which is pretty intense.
My surgeon, who is one the top breast surgeons in the US, said the only thing to avoid was heavy weight resting on my shoulder (I don't do squats, for instance, or anything where the barbell is resting on my shoulders.) He also said not to carry a shoulder bag on the surgery side. His theorey is that the lymph reroutes. All I know, is I've been able to get back into shape, do whatever I want and have no problems with my arm. Good luck.
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Caroline UK

Becky, what is Neosporin? I'm in the UK, and I'm imagining it's an antibiotic, but is it in cream form or tablets? That's a good suggestion, anyway, and I'll be putting Band-Aids in every bag from now on.
Jill's husband CPA, I think I'll get some proper professional advice from a physio, that's another good suggestion.
And Linda, I hadn't even thought about the bag thing. I always carry my bag across my body, too, but luckily across the unaffected side, by chance, but that's well worth knowing and remembering.
Thank you all!
Caroline
HER2+++, ER+/PR+
Right mast. May 2006. 6 of 20 nodes positive
FEC x 4, taxotere x 4; port implanted after 6 cycles
Rads x 25
1 year of Herceptin ended Nov 07.
Arimidex 5 years

Considering reconstruction, maybe soon...
Caroline UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
juanita

Neosporin is an antibiotic cream. I feel like I should own the company with as much of it as I went throough when my son was younger.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
CPA

Jill's oncologist sent her to four sessions with a physical therapist. The PT helped her set up a routine that eased her into exercise. She had the same worries as you, and having a professional help and monitor her at the beginning really put her mind at ease. Our insurance even covered the cost of the PT. She had no problems exercising.
Stage II N0
Her2+ er/pr+
Revision Mast due to positive margins 12/05
TCH Chemo started 1/06
Finished TC 4/06
Tamoxifen
Finished H 12/29/06
Currently NED
CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
LAURIE

Caroline, I have lymphedema and am convinced it was not the working out that caused it but the heating pad that I had on in bed on night in a cold January. I did not think I had it on my arm but I roll a lot at night. Stay out of hot tubs and super hot showers too.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
StephN

Thumbs up Sanitize the equipment

By all means, start an exercise program.

One thing that many people do not realize is how GERMY gyms can be. A good reputable gym will have plenty of paper towels and spray bottles of some kind of disinfectant. This is to use on the various equipment after you use it. I use it BEFORE, as I don't always see who was last on a given machine or if it got wiped off.

Especially if you are just off chemo and still have low blood counts, being in crowded, dirty places can pose a risk of picking up one of the infections that are hard to treat.

LOTS of hand washing and/OR wear some of those latex gloves when using the gym equipment, grocery shopping, etc.

This may seem a little extreme, but has served me well. I joined a local gym that is BRAND NEW and very clean.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote