 |
05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
|
#1
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: northshore suburb of chicago
Posts: 1,093
|
severe dry mouth
I have mentioned before about my autoimmune disease called sjogren's syndrome and how it presents with a very dry mouth and eyes. I just finished my first round of A/C on Thursday, May 25, a day I will never forget. Anyway, I have such extreme dryness in my mouth, and believe me, I know from dryness. Other than sugar free gum and candy, biotene mouthwash and paste and water, is there anything else anyone can think of to help? It is so annoying and I feel like I have to always keep flossing and brushing or my mouth feels gross. Thanks in advance for your assistance with this.
Rina
__________________
~Rina~
Dx:3/06 had a lumpectomy April 19, 2006
Her2+ er/pr- Stage I Grade 3 tumor size 1.4 cm, node negative
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
|
|
|
05-29-2006, 01:43 PM
|
#2
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 65
|
My mom's oncologist recommended lemonade and sucking on candies. Oftentimes sour candies will help.
__________________
Caregiver to mother, Diane
Diagnosed 3/2006 Stage IIB (T2, N2, M0), Her-2+++, Er/PR-, Grade 3
|
|
|
05-29-2006, 01:49 PM
|
#3
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: northshore suburb of chicago
Posts: 1,093
|
thanks forgot about lemon drops, but should be sugarless to avoid cavities of course. You are a sweetheart of a daughter posting for your mom like this. lucky mom and special daughter.
Rina
__________________
~Rina~
Dx:3/06 had a lumpectomy April 19, 2006
Her2+ er/pr- Stage I Grade 3 tumor size 1.4 cm, node negative
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
|
|
|
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM
|
#4
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 65
|
I would help out anyone in this situation! It's been difficult for us, but we're getting through it. I've just found that I have a purpose in life that I never knew that I had before!!
__________________
Caregiver to mother, Diane
Diagnosed 3/2006 Stage IIB (T2, N2, M0), Her-2+++, Er/PR-, Grade 3
|
|
|
05-29-2006, 02:13 PM
|
#5
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,843
|
I have zipped through the headlines of your posts and see no entry into the diet debate.
You may like to check out the posts on omega three and six through the search facility - click on search above right and enter your term.
Fats are fundamantal at many levels in the body.
Balancing the omega threes and sixes, and getting some input of DHA EPA should help bolster general health if nothing else.
Please do check with your advisors before making significant dietary change.
Please excuse me if you have already done all this.
RB
|
|
|
05-29-2006, 02:28 PM
|
#6
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 752
|
Ladies;
Don't forget ladies that you shouldn't floss while on chemo....no cuts to the mouth.
Cathy
|
|
|
05-30-2006, 06:59 AM
|
#7
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 306
|
I use all the things you have mentioned. Most recently, I upped my Trident to two pieces at a time and change more often. This is my fifth year with dry as dust mouth. The Biotene paste feels so good...while it lasts. But that is the trouble as I experience it. Nothing lasts for long.........so water and gum all day long. Where ever I go!
So sorry,
xoxopattyz
|
|
|
05-30-2006, 07:43 AM
|
#8
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: northshore suburb of chicago
Posts: 1,093
|
the biotene is great while it lasts, both the mouthwash and the paste. water tastes funky to me now for some reason and i am a huge water drinker from way back due to my sjogren's syndrome. will try two pieces of sugar free gum now and see if that helps plus get some sugar free lemon candies but have to watch out for the artificial sugars cause we all know what that can cause.
speaking of sjogren's syndrome, anyone know of any relation to b.c.? any other sjogren's patients out there with b.c. want to share any info?
Rina
__________________
~Rina~
Dx:3/06 had a lumpectomy April 19, 2006
Her2+ er/pr- Stage I Grade 3 tumor size 1.4 cm, node negative
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
|
|
|
05-30-2006, 08:21 AM
|
#9
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 306
|
Oh dear, I forgot you're doing a/c, too! and yes, water tasted 'funky' to me too. Back then, I found a bit of lemon helped with the taste, but that is too astringent, I think.
Just saw a come back of 'fizzies' and wonder if that would 'adjust' the water enough to be palatable. Or half a fizzie  )
I am a self dx'd Sjogrens, but in reality, don't have all the 'right' symptoms........
pattyz
|
|
|
05-30-2006, 08:25 AM
|
#10
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: .
Posts: 87
|
Please don't forget to floss
Hello Ladies,
You can try a mouthwash made with seaweed extract from the natural food store. It helped my mom quite a bit. I recommend to my patients small sips of water frequently, sugar free lemon candies. It is important to floss during chemo(carefully) because cavities can set in easily and inflammation of the gums can be painful from gingivitis when your mouth is so dry. Hope that helps
Anne
|
|
|
05-30-2006, 08:56 AM
|
#11
|
|
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2006
Location: northshore suburb of chicago
Posts: 1,093
|
Believe me anne, I know this being a retired dental hygienist. I am so concious of my dental health that if that becomes a problem I won't believe it.
__________________
~Rina~
Dx:3/06 had a lumpectomy April 19, 2006
Her2+ er/pr- Stage I Grade 3 tumor size 1.4 cm, node negative
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM.
|