HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
Chelee
Senior Member
 
Chelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern, CA
Posts: 2,511
Angry Liver Levels up? What next!!!

I found out the HARD way from my new oncologist that I thought I could trust...that she too isn't being to upfront with me.

Today I was trying to get information out of her...its like pulling teeth it seems. Its my body..I have a RIGHT to know everything...good or bad!

She tells me that my liver enzymes have been running a little high at 60...but she said thats not bad. (I would have no idea?) I think she said it should be around 40 or 45?

But then she goes on to tell me...that one 5-1-06 when I came in for my lab work...and had a FULL CYCLE infusion of my herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin that my liver was UP to 147 which concerned her...but for me NOT to worry.

She KNEW back on May 1st BEFORE my chemo what my lab work was. WHY didn't she tell me them how HIGH it was? And WHY did she go ahead and let me get the Taxotere and all that????

I am angry enough just knowing my liver enzymes have been up to 60 without her telling me ALL THIS TIME.

Does anyone KNOW WHY my liver would be up at 147? Is that going to go down...or will it be permanet damage that won't improve...or what? They LOVE stressing me out. I think they can't wait to kill me off as fast as possible. I was JUST beginning to LIKE this NEW oncologist. Now it seems like she is just like my first one...they HIDE things from me.

Anyone else have elavated liver numbers out of range that bad? What would or can cause it? Does that mean my chemo is over now.

Chelee
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
jhandley
Senior Member
 
jhandley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Posts: 330
Smile Hi Chelee

You are getting a really good combo of treatment. The good news is that your enzymes have decreased with the treatment. Time to get worried is when they keep going up into the high hundreds/thousands despite treatment. Hang in there.
What is your diagnosis at present?
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
cosmicdust
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Lightbulb

Liver functions (blood work) are best if fasting before test...factor changes to foods eaten before test - did you fast? U can find info about liver tests online that lists the norms for them...i had 1.8" dia tumor in liver now shrunk to .7" (>50% smaller) so I watch my bilirubin and liver tests closely.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
MJo
Senior Member
 
MJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wilmington, Del.
Posts: 1,126
My liver functions went up and down before I got cancer. Doctors tested me for different things, but I checked out fine. It could be your body at work.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel
Senior Member
 
AlaskaAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 2,018
Chelee,

For those who have been fairly healthy most of their lives, having treatment is hard to get used to. The "norm" is that patients are not generally told what their exact lab results are. The "norm" is that we all have to continually ask, and request copies. I personally think this is more harmful than good. I understand why medical providers need to see the results before we do so that they can have time to put them all together and interpret them and design a plan to deal with them, but in my opinion it should be legally required that we be sent a copy of each one within a logical time, say 2 weeks after each test. We have paid for them, and even if the postage or having staff send them by e-mail would cost something, I still think it makes more sense in this day and age and would do the best job of protecting us.

But that isn't yet the way it is....

Some medical systems are working toward providing the patient with online direct access to their medical records. Let's hope that becomes the "norm".

Even though having to track everything and figure out what is abnormal and what is normal gets pretty overwhelming sometimes, at least over time you end up with a better feel for what's what. And whether we like it or not we are in this mess for the rest of whatever life we have, so the sooner you start learning about your own "normal" ranges the more ability you have to do something about them.

With some lab tests, hardly any rise at all can be really important. But when it comes to liver enzymes and having chemotherapy the kind of rise you are seeing usually isn't. If you have a huge rise it might, but yours isn't huge. If there is a consistent pattern of abnormal readings that continues after treatment, or if there is a huge rise, then there would be more reason for concern by you and your providers.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Barbara
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Payson, Arizona
Posts: 96
Liver Enzymes

Hi:

Nuelasta can cause elevated liver enzymes; in my case both liver enzymes, alkaline phosphatase and CA 27-29 all went way above normal levels when I was on Taxol and Nuelasta. This apparently happens in about 17% of all chemo patients. All levels returned to normal within six weeks of completing chemo.


Barb
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:22 AM   #7
Chelee
Senior Member
 
Chelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern, CA
Posts: 2,511
Unhappy

Thanks to all of you as I am now much more relieved. Its just ridiculous my oncologists...the BOTH of them I have had....can't tell me anything & they CHOOSE to keep everything to themselves. It just makes me worry more in the LONG run when these things come out in the wash.

Ester, You mentioned your liver mets and your concern about your liver shutting down. That's what I was doing...except I see now I was ahead of myself...I thought maybe they permanetly damaged my liver. I see now from all the posts that is not the case. I was more concerned hearing about my liver enzymes were high because I HAD been telling my infusion nurse for WEEKS that it HURTS really bad where my liver is!

Becky, I did not know the taxanes were harder on the liver. Boy I learn SO MUCH more here then I could even come close to down at the cancer center. Becky, you mentioned that I should start asking for all the copies of these things. Funny you should mention that.

It was JUST today...I was thinking about HOW I have been handled by the oncologist since the day I was introduced to them. Just the fact of letting me LAND in the hospital when he KNEW my wbc for three weeks was low. I knew NOTHING about Neulasta...he DID..and CHOOSE not to give it to me. I almost DIED in the hospital thanks to him. I thought about alot of things today. I am DONE...ITS OVER. I am not going to be treated this way anymore.

So what I did JUST this morning when I got up is call the Radiologist Dept. to see if I could get a copy of my combo PET/CT scan that I have been asking BOTH my oncologist for since the day they received it in Feb. They WON'T let me see it! HA...I fooled them...the Radiologist Dept said what doctor wants to see it? I said, "I would like a copy for myself". She nicely said...when would you like to pick it up? (So easy!)

Then I typed out my own medical letters for two of my doctors requesting all my files, scans, results of all tests, x-rays, all lab work and you name it. I refuse to be ignored anymore...this is my life we are taking about.

I have to have lab work THIS Monday...then see my oncologist BEFORE my herceptin infusion. Wait till she sees me walk in her office with that PET/CT scan...she is going to freak out. Its a long story..but believe me...her and my first oncologist have done everyhing in their power to NOT let me see it for whatever reason...which does worry be a bit? But I NEED the truth about everything rather they like it or not.

Becky, its amazing how you and alot of other women have all their lab work and results of tests. All I every get, and I HAVE to push for it EACH week..and still do...is the sheet from my weekly CBC. Which doesn't have much on it as you know. Just the RBC, WBC, Hemagolbin, hemocrit, lymph, etc. I asked her the other day WHERE are ALL my results from ALL the scans and tests I had while I was layed up in the hospital are? She played dumb and said, "Didn't you get any of those"? I said NO. She gave me 3 sheets of paper. I should of had a good sized folder just from the 10 days in the hosptial. They work hard at keeping things away from me. But they have NO idea whats coming as of Monday. I am getting ALL MY RECORDS and then some.

I never get anything on my liver enzymes or CA 27-29. I don't even think she does that CA 27-29? If so...I have never seen mine.


>You should be able to get the information you want on yourself. Just be >very direct with your onc on what you want and expect. If you explain >your needs clearly, then you should get what you want and if you don't, >then you can really throw a fit<

Thats where I am NOW Becky. My 1st oncologist, & this new one understood without a shadow of a doubt what me & my husband expected. We said we want ALL my information. We disscused it several times in great lenght. So now I have given her more then a chance. First I thought she was just busy...but NO...she just has no intentions of letting us see any of my paper work IF she can help it. So now...I am going to make some noise. I am tired of being nice down there and getting stepped on. I am fighting for my life...I don't get 10 chances at this. Glad she thinks its a joke.
I have had such a rough time with all this since it started. None of this is easy for ANY of us women. But when you lose trust...and they hide and keep things from you...doesn't make this journey any easier.
Thanks for your on-going support Becky. This week I really have been an emotional wreck. Thanks for your kind words at the end of your post...I needed to hear that tonight. I feel so alone till I come here. My one safe place where I can trust everyone....people that truly understand. I am a very sensitive person I guess you could say. And those few kind words of yours brought tears to my eyes.

God Bless you...thank you so much for your help, support and just being there. All of you are such awesome women...I don't know what I would do without this board...and I am so serious.

Sorry again for the long post. I promised to quit doing it...and I did it again. Ugh.

I almost forgot...because I started venting. Orignally this was about my liver enymes being at 147 back in May. They took blood from me yesterday to see if it went DOWN...and my infusion nurse said it was better now. Its at 70. So it must not be permant like I was starting to think...its dropping so far...so that is good. But you all say thats normal...so I can SLEEP easier tonight. I will have another CBC Monday before my chemo (herceptin). I will make sure I get results of NOT just cbc...but all blood work from now on.

Chelee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stage IIIA, Her2/Neu 3+++, Er & Pr positive, 5 out of 16 positive nodes, Richardson scale 9 of 9.

DX on Dec. 20th
Radical Mastectomy 1-3-06
Chemo started in Feb.

Herceptin, Taxotere, & Carbpotin
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright HER2 Support Group 2007 - 2021
free webpage hit counter